A few years ago, we heard about the definition of “Agile Marketing” somewhere. Agile Marketing is an approach that applies agile spirit (flexible development, comes from software development) into marketing with the goal of improving speed, predictability, transparency and adaptation. Quick with changes in marketing activities. Let’s dive into what agile marketing is and how to build an agile marketing team.
What is the definition of agile marketing?
Agile is a way of grouping your work in rounds and doing it, each time there will be trying to improve and optimize than the last.
Agile is highly flexible and is also a key feature of this method because it has its own rules. This method, if applied to different teams will help to operate faster, achieve more effectively. While Agile is a new concept in marketing, it has actually been used in software development to improve traditional practices. The waterfall method was the method used before the Agile method, but it was extremely rigid. The waterfall model framing tasks in a rigid timeline, while agile always tends to “Try – Wrong – Fix”. This method is suitable for projects that need constant change. Using this method will help the final product to be completed in the best way.
What is agile marketing?
The declaration and principles of Agile Marketing
Because of the business nature of marketing activities, the Agile method of marketing has its own principle to help achieve the closer purpose of improving speed, transparency and adaptive capacity to the environment. Agile Marketing methodology always adheres to the following principles.
- Human interaction is more important than processes and tools
- Responding to changes is more important than sticking to the plan
- Testing is much more than a bet
- Try to get more important data than discuss, consult
- Targeting loyal customers is more important than market coverage but less interactive
- Transparency, cohesion is more important than formality
What is the manifesto and principle of Agile Marketing?
The operation model of Agile Marketing model
Currently there are many frameworks for the Agile model, but the most seen are Scrum, Kanban and Scrumban. For marketers, they combined Waterfall and Scrumban to transform into a Modified Scrum model. This model can take advantage of structures to increase flexibility and improve work progress. In modified Scum, the project is still divided into many different work blocks, in each work block will be divided into many small jobs so that the “Trial – False – Repair” is done continuously to give the best results.
What Modified Scrum can do:
- Guaranteed deadline but flexible
- Suitable for teams using Agile
- Can coordinate smoothly between Scrum team and Waterfall team
What is agile marketing? Operational model of Agile Marketing under Modified Scrum
Agile Marketing – Adapt to survive
Many of us know that, to keep pace with the growth of the general marketing landscape, CMOs and other leaders are developing practical competencies that allow for faster adaptation, decision-making based on data platforms, and as usual, a deeper connection with customers. Access to the benefits of Agile Marketing.
While the death of mass media like TV or print may be a bit exaggerated, the fact that they are being overshadowed and faded in the minds of marketers by developing modern infrastructure and technology systems. Mobile devices, then the growing popularity of social apps, real customer expectations, Millennial generations’ indifference and the way Baby Boomer’s content play an important role in the rapid change of messages that need to be sent optimally.
How to build an Agile marketing team
Building an Agile marketing team is not easy because it requires computation and reorganizes the whole job. However, to get started, Marketing AI will share you with the steps to make the conversion process as easy as possible.
Build team spirit
First, when building a team, you first need to help the team see what the benefits of Agile Marketing are for them to enjoy and want to work. Discuss with the whole team how to adjust to the company’s characteristics. Let all members contribute ideas to get results, in addition to supporting other members to keep up with the new method.
Call for support from leadership
In addition to building the spirit of the team, you must have the support of the leadership by telling them how Agile Marketing is and persuading leaders to apply the new method. Of course, this will be difficult, but it’s important to get started.
Set up structure for the team
An optimal Agile marketing team needs from 3 to 7 people with different tasks like Scrum Master, Project Owner …
What is the way to build an Agile Marketing team?
The benefits come from Agile Marketing
Applying Agile Marketing concepts is not as scary as we often hear and there are important benefits that can be achieved. A skilled Marketer in digital marketing or a CMO can explain the processes and benefits of marketing, but by the end of the day, it still needs to be expressed through the results and reflected on the revenue achieved. Planning and operating through agile analysis give higher value, shorter turnaround of decisions, minimized risks, and more effective utilities on insights.
Agile principles have been proven through the software equipment industry and approached the needs of marketers in the digital marketing world. Building a quick foundation of practices not only ensures optimization of Marketing investment, but also optimizes resources within the Marketing team through leadership, technology, process delivery, analytical thinking, and results.
What are the benefits of Agile Marketing?
In addition, the developers emphasized the twelve principles behind the Agile Declaration to help developers get practical suggestions and apply agile methods in practice. The principles are listed below:
- Our highest priority is to satisfy our customers by the early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- Welcome to change requirements, even very late in the development process. Flexible processes take advantage of change for customers’ competitive advantages.
- Frequently deliver good running software to customers, from weeks to months, preferably for shorter time periods.
- Entrepreneurs and developers must work together daily throughout the project.
- Develop projects around motivated individuals. Provide them with the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.
- The most effective way to communicate information to the development team and internally, is to have face-to-face conversations.
- Software running well is the main measure of progress.
- Flexible processes promote sustainable development. Sponsors, developers, and users can maintain an unlimited continuous pace.
- Constantly interested in good techniques and designs to increase flexibility.
- Simplicity – the art of maximizing unfinished work – is fundamental.
- The best architectures, the best requirements, and best designs will be made by self-organizing groups.
- The production team will often think about how to be more efficient, then they will adjust and change their behaviors accordingly.
“The flexible approach will help to improve the two media challenges that almost every marketing organization has: we don’t share our priorities clearly, and we don’t wish calculating on how much time it will take to do a specific job,” said Mozilla CMO Jascha Kaykas-Wolff, the author of the book Growing Up Fast: How New Agile Practices Can Move Marketing And Innovation Past The Old Business Stalemates. “As a rule rooted in product production and engineering optimization, flexible systems are built to make it easier to share priority work between teams and stakeholders, as well as helping marketers train how to estimate the time required to complete a project.”
The article shared all the knowledge and concepts of Agile Marketing. Remember Agile’s rule “Quick testing, regular testing, getting done”. And businesses also need to know what is effective and what is not yet effective to develop and improve. Hopefully, the knowledge of Agile Marketing will help the marketing team to grow faster and faster in this technology era.